ScoliTech Answers ‘What is Scoliosis?’
As Explained by Scoliosis Doctors in Edina, MN
Scoliosis is a spinal deformity that affects both children and adults. The condition can range in severity from being relatively mild to having devastating long and short-term health consequences.
The formal definition of scoliosis is that it is a lateral (sideways) curvature of the spine in excess of 10 degrees with rotation of the spine and trunk. Such curves can start as early as birth, but can also start when a person is an older adult. There are many causes and manifestation of scoliosis, but most curves tend to progress over time. Sometimes progression is quite rapid, and such is often the case in young children and adolescents.
- Scoliosis affects children and adults.
- The condition can progress rapidly with growth and even aging.
- There are many causes for Scoliosis.
- Some forms of scoliosis have no known cause.
- The condition is often accompanied by pain, alteration in posture, and progressive loss of function.
Recent advances in scoliosis analysis and treatment offer hope to the millions children and adults who are afflicted with scoliosis. At ScoliTech we offer a potent combination of conservative treatments that can stop progression and sometimes correct scoliosis.