Warning signs to be aware of for Scoliosis in Edina, MN
Scoliosis Red Flags
There are instances where scoliosis can be an indicator of more severe underlying health complaints. You and your doctor need to be alert to these red flags.
Sometimes scoliosis is just the most superficial indicator of more serious health problems. People can have spinal tumors, genetic disorders, brain and spinal cord issues, or a host of other disorders. In such cases they may also demonstrate a scoliosis. At other times, the age, curve magnitude and configuration will telegraph an increased risk of curve progression. It is essential that a full evaluation be done with anyone exhibiting scoliosis. Some of the warning signs to be alert to are as follows; these are the Scoliosis Red Flags:
- A left curve in the mid back or right curve in the low back are often associated with other diseases.
- Acute spinal pain in a child or adolescent.
- Night pain in the spine is always a cause for concern.
- Scoliosis in boys is always of greater concern.
- Scoliosis in a younger child. Early onset of scoliosis has a higher risk of other disease processes and also of rapid curve progression,
If your child or someone you know is exhibiting any of the above Red Flags, then, at the very least, further investigation is warranted. Oftentimes advanced imaging like MRI is indicated in the presence of the above warning signs. The ScoliTech team does a thorough history and evaluation and is trained to identify scoliosis Read Flags and make appropriate referral for additional testing